Frequently Asked Questions

Key questions about University records management and information systems are outlined on this page.

Note: We also have a suite of helpful articles in ServiceNow, which staff can find in the following knowledge bases: Records & Information, Content Manager and Records Managed SharePoint.


  • What is a record?

    A record is information created, recorded, sent and/or received and maintained in the course of carrying out the business of the University. It is evidence of a business transaction or decision and is retained as a record of such activity.

    Records come in all different formats and are not limited to just paper records. A document does not have to be finalised to be considered a record, drafts and working papers are records too.

    See Introduction to University records for further information.

  • Do records I create belong to me?

    No. Records created during the course of conducting University business are University records and belong to the University. They should be managed in accordance with the records management policy and processes.

  • Who is responsible for records management?

    Everyone is. Each employee at the University has a role in creating, using, retrieving, and disposing of records.

    See Introduction to University records for further information.

Access and retrieval

  • Where can I get a copy of my Academic Transcript?

    We do not manage Academic Transcript enquiries. This function is managed by Stop 1.

    You can order a transcript directly online.

    Alumni can contact Stop 1 via the general enquiry form.

  • How do I retrieve University records transferred to Records & Information?

    Work units that transfer university records to us are able to retrieve them at any time by contacting

    You should specify the transfer number, box number and file title.

    Access to transferred university records by persons not associated with the transferring work unit (for example staff in other departments or researchers) requires the approval of the transferring department.

Records found or left behind

  • What do I do if I find abandoned records?

    If you find abandoned records, please contact us:

  • What do I do with University records left behind by former staff?

    Units that inherit records of former staff members are obligated to manage the records as they would their own.

    If you require further guidance, contact us:

  • What do I do with University records of a unit which has ceased or will cease to exist at some point in the future?

    Ideally as soon as you are aware that the unit will no longer exist, you should contact us: This also applies to units that may merge or may restructure.

    See also Records disposal for staff who are leaving or relocating for further information.

  • What do I do with my academic papers now that I am retiring or leaving the University?

    Your papers may have long term value and could be deposited to the University of Melbourne Archives.

    See Donations enquires for further information.

Retention and disposal


  • How do I manage my research data and records responsibly?

    The University Research Gateway provides guidance for researchers on how to manage their research data and records.

    See Research data management for further information.

  • Where do I store my research data and records?

    The University provides many options to support your research data storage and management needs.

    See Research data storage and management systems for further information.

  • How long do I need to keep my research data and records?

    Research data and records should be retained for the period outlined in the University Records Retention and Disposal Authority (RDA). Refer to the RESEARCH > Data Management Function/Activity in the RDA for guidance.


  • What is the difference between Records Managed SharePoint and non-managed SharePoint?

    Records Managed SharePoint (RMSP) is an instance of SharePoint deployed at the University, which has integration with Content Manager. This integration supports records management functionality and compliance, including automated record disposal.

    RMSP is supported by Records & Information. We can build sites on request and assist staff with designing, managing and configuring sites.

    We do not support non-Records Managed SharePoint sites. Staff are responsible for their own sites and for managing the records held within the sites. General SharePoint technical support is provided by Information Technology Services.

    See Records Managed SharePoint for further information.

  • How do I get access to Content Manager?

    In order to gain access to Content Manager, you must complete and submit an online access form via ServiceNow and complete Content Manger training.

  • My Content Manager toolbar/tab in Outlook has disappeared, how do I get it back?

    Sometimes the Content Manager toolbar/tab may have become 'disabled' when using Outlook or other MS applications.

    Refer to this article  for guidance: KB001348 Enabling Microsoft applications integration with Content Manager (accessible to University staff).

  • Where do I find knowledge articles about Content Manager?

    See KB0027037 How to find Knowledge Base Articles (KBAs) about Content Manager (CM) (accessible to University staff).

    Also see our Content Manager page for general information about the system.

  • Where do I find knowledge articles about Records Managed SharePoint?

    See KB0027038 How to find Knowledge Base Articles (KBAs) about Records Managed SharePoint (RMSP) (accessible to University staff).

    Also see our Records Managed SharePoint page for general information about the system.