What is a digitisation plan?
The University has responsibilities under the Public Records Act 1973 (Vic) to appropriately and lawfully create, manage and dispose of University records.
A Digitisation Plan identifies hardcopy source records to be digitised (eg, scanned) where the intention is to:
- Destroy the source record, and
- Use the digitised record for ongoing business.
Important: It is unlawful to destroy digitised source records without a completed and authorised Digitisation Plan.
When should a plan be used?
A plan should be used for the following types of digitisation activities:
- Ongoing digitisation as records are received by a work unit – eg, scanning incoming mail, invoices, applications etc
- Projects for the digitisation of existing records – eg, converting a collection of paper records to help preserve them or make them more accessible to University staff to support business.
Note: A new plan should be created when the digitisation process, technology or tools, or way the records are going to be managed significantly change.
What are the benefits of preparing a plan?
Preparing a Digitisation Plan will help ensure the digitisation of University records is properly planned and managed in accordance with PROS 19/05 S1 Digitisation Specification requirements issued by Public Record Office Victoria.
Having a plan:
- Enables you to lawfully digitise and destroy hardcopy University records
- Ensures you receive support from a member of the Records & Information team
- Supports best practice techniques and processes
- Connects you with relevant University services
How to create and implement a plan?
Refer to the following University resources to help develop and implement your Digitisation Plan with support from Records & Information:
Existing digitisation plans
A Digitisation Plan may have already been created for your specific work area and type of University record. Please consult with Records & Information before applying a Digitisation Plan to your area.
|Department/Unit||Type of University record|
|Carlton Health Service||Inactive Patient records|
|Campus Services, Fleet Services||Smartfleet Applications|
|Health & Safety||Health Hazard Assessment Questionnaires|
|Legal Services||Checklists and Execution Request forms|
|Grants & Contracts, NHMRC||Grant Application records and Multi Institutional Agreements|
|Space Management||Valuation records|
|Student Equity & Disability Support||Client files|
|Student Service Delivery||Student Files held in Student Centres|
|Ten to Men Project||Participant Documents|
|Themis Service Desk||Themis Responsibility Application forms|
|University Copyright Office||Audio Visual Photograph Consent forms|
|Records & Compliance, Records||University Legal Agreements & Contracts, Destruction Lists and Digitisation Plans|
|Records & Compliance, Education & Regulatory Compliance||Freedom of Information material|
If you have any questions or wish to establish a plan for your area, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.