What is digital preservation?
Digital preservation is the coordinated and ongoing set of processes and activities that ensure long-term, error-free storage of digital information, with means for retrieval and interpretation, for the entire time span the information is required.
Digital preservation at the University
The University of Melbourne generates and maintains considerable digital collections of enduring value. The University's Digital Preservation Program, led by the Digital Stewardship team, aims to preserve various domains of data and records, including:
- Research outputs
- Research data and records
- University records
- Cultural collections
University records domain
University records to be digitally preserved are digital or digitised records which form the University’s organisational memory and legacy, including its research, teaching, engagement and administrative activities.
These records are defined as 'permanent' in the University Records Retention and Disposal Authority and many are currently held within the University's Content Manager system.
In order to preserve University records, we are working cooperatively with the following stakeholders:
- Digital Stewardship (Research) – oversees implementation of the University's Digital Preservation Program and administers the Preservica digital preservation system
- University of Melbourne Archives – leads archival description and arrangement
- Business Services – provides technical services and support
- Vendors – provides Content Manager and Preservica technical expertise
Our work to preserve University records includes:
- Scoping permanent records held in Content Manager for preservation
- Co-developing templates for capturing record collection information and management requirements
- Contributing to the integration of Content Manager records management system with Preservica digital preservation system
- Establishing regular transfers of records from Content Manager into Preservica.
See the Digital Stewardship team's Digital Preservation page for further information about the University's Digital Preservation Program, including the Strategy and Roadmaps.
For more information about the University records domain of the Program, contact us: email@example.com